Friday, June 20, 2008

Rusty thinks I am crazy

goodpeople
  • KELLI NELSON  :  United States of America  :  1688.03 lbs promised   details

    Promised on 2008-06-20 09:49:24 to keep the following:
    Will recycle all aluminum and steel cans this year. 166 lbs SAVED.
    Will use reusable coffee cups 1 day(s) this week. 0.25 lbs SAVED.
    Will take the train, instead of a plane for 1 short (500 miles or less) trip(s) this year. 205 lbs SAVED.
    Will replace 1 frequently used incandescent light bulb(s) with more efficient compact fluorescent bulb(s). 100 lbs SAVED.
    Will run my dishwasher only when it's full this week. 2 lbs SAVED.
    Will turn off and unplug home computer when not in use this year. 250 lbs SAVED.
    Will take two minutes off their regular showering time 7 day(s) this week. 6.58 lbs SAVED.
    Will either set thermostat one degrees lower (winter) or one degrees higher (summer) for one whole month. 42 lbs SAVED.
    Will wash clothes this week in cold water. 10 lbs SAVED.
    Will air-dry all laundry this week instead of using the dryer. 14 lbs SAVED.
    Will turn down hot water heater to 120 degrees. 550 lbs SAVED.
    Will reduced the amount of unnecessary mail receive by choosing electronic bill payment all my accounts. 37 SAVED.
    Will reduce junk mail by canceling 1 catalog(s) I received regularly, in the mail, but never read. 15.2 SAVED.
    Will recycle all white and mixed paper this year. 273 lbs SAVED.
    Will use reusable or recycled shopping bags at the grocery store this year. 17 lbs SAVED.

This is my promise to the earth. I so want to change my carbon footprint. Now I know that Rusty and many of you think I am to far out there and that I should stop hugging trees and come back to the real world, but I like hugging trees.

Have you guys seen green tv? It is put out by the people at discovery channel. They have a show called life with Ed, and it is about living with Ed beagly. I love this show and this whole channel.

This morning I was surfing their web page and I found the carbon footprint promise. My promise is posted above.

This week I have been a quist to see exactly how much trash our family produces. So far this week we have not even filled up one trash bag. Now this is also because I have to go through the trash and pull out all the recyclables because Rusty does not believe in that. We are doing good.

Last week George and I went to the beach on the base. Now every time I go to the beach I walk the beach and pick up all the trash. George thought I was crazy but she went with me on my walk.

I so wish I had my camera. All this week I have been trying to get my hands on a video camera. No luck there.

I wanted to take a video of what I saw there on the beach. I wanted to vomit! Even George was discussed.

What we saw were dead birds. The sad thing is they were right outside the bird sanctuary. Dead birds just laying there rotting and stinking!

We picked up so much trash that we had to carry it in our arms because our trash bag was stuffed. We found balloons and the string that held the balloons together, bleach bottles, shoes, glass, metal, rubber stuff, and worst of all we found Gatorade bottles.

The gatoraid bottles made me mad because they were right out side the tracks where the marines go rolling by. What gives them the right to just throw their trash on the beach?

So George and I walked back up the beach. We finally made it to a trash can only to discover that the trash can was stuffed. It was stuffed with recyclable stuff! So I start to look around and there was no recycling center set up. So then why does the base promote recycling?

I wanted to go walk the beach and take a video of all of this. Marines are just gross.

So last night I was talking to Rusty about this, and he said "The base Sergeant Major will be at the cigar social on Monday, why don't you go with me and you can ask him these question?"

I am going to go watch a bunch of old guys smoke cigars and talk about the good old days just so I can ask some tough questions. Even if I do not get answers for them.

I want people to be aware of the condition of the beach. Most of the best beach's are on Military bases and we should be ashamed of the condition of the beach's.

Onto another subject. I heard from both of the girls yesterday.

Nikki is having a blast and is pushing her limits. The group that Nikki is with was told that they could not walk around and sell t shirts and that they had to stay in their booth. So then Nikki and this other girl started writing "live offensively on peoples arms.  They were that they could not do that. So nikki made a big sign that said "We will pray for you". Then people started swarming them!

Amber called me in tears. Someone stole most of her money! So she will not have enough money to make it 2 weeks.

Great. this is just what I did not need. I check western unions web page and they can wire money to Italy, but I have to go into a western union to do it. I do not know what the conversion rate is but I was told that the money would be paid in the Euro. Does that mean that I am getting screwed?

I am going to call and try to activate Ambers atm card. I use to be on Ambers account, and I hope that I still am.

I am trying to get a hold of my uncle who is from Italy, but so far I am not having much luck. I do not even know where in Italy this girl is!

Oh my brain hurts.

O.K. my day is waiting and I have a lot to do.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))))))))))I hope it al works out and you send money.Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

You are a gal after my own heart. I have recycled aluminum and plastic bags for years but just recently started with the plastic bottles etc. I am amazed at the amount just the two of us generate. Paula

Anonymous said...

I think it's great your willing to make a difference. If everyone did a little something on a daily basis it would make the world a better place. I never go hiking or walking in the woods without a plastic bag on me. I get so infuriated by the idiots who just ruin the view for everyone else with their trash and carelessness. If you have a big enough yard you can set up a compost area in the corner, you can throw out food and such to compost naturally. This cuts down on garbage as well. I have a Brita picture for water. I used to buy bottled water, this way I'm not leaving plastic bottles. Sorry to hear about Amber having her money stolen. I hope your able to find some way to get some to her. (Hugs) indigo

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you can have a relaxing worry free weekend.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the real world, Amber.  Sucks she had that happen to her!  
You go recycle girl!
Traci

Anonymous said...

great for you with this recycling pledge of your's Kelli!

I notice that we must be doing good for recycling because our recycling bin goes out to be picked up on an average of 3:1 over our garbage bin so we are recycling quite a bit

poor Amber!! we had neighbors before we moved who were going to Italy; their tour guide said to be really careful because the Italian pickpockets are really good at stealing money without people noticing; he said he got his wallet pick-pocketed when he should have known better on a train; a week later when he was on that same train, his wallet was returned to him with everything in there but the cash and he never knew it was put back. Poor Amber!!! Yep, you'll lose money if you wire her money and they convert it to Euros; Euros are much higher worth than our money

Sounds like Nikki is having a great time!!!!

betty

Anonymous said...

OMG....poor Amber that is awful. Im glad Nikki is living it up....sounds just like something her mom would do...LOL As for you, I think what you are doing is great. I have tried to be more earth friendly. We use the bulbs and turn off AC during the day and other things, but I havent gotten into recycling.....I just may do that though!!
Hugs
Carrie

Anonymous said...

I don't think you can be over the top when it comes to recycling.  I wish there were more people like you out there.  Give them a good talking to at the cigar social.  Keep on making a difference.

I am sorry about Amber losing her money and hope she plans to pay you back when she comes home.  I'm just very glad to read that she wasn't hurt in anyway by something or some one.

Check online for a conversion rate to find out the value of a dollar today.  She can go to any Western Union no matter where she is and pick it up as long as she has the money order number they give you when you send it.  

Here's hoping you can get into her back account for her too.

Warm hugs,

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/


Anonymous said...

Great on the recycling...and I am so sorry what happened to Amber...hope things get better...hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

So sorry Amber lost her money. I am shocked at how you described the beaches. There's no excuse for that.
Take care...catching up here with your journal.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that recycling means so much to you, and that you're willing to put forth so much effort.  I am so sorry someone stole Amber's money, and I hope you are able to wire her what she needs.
Lori

Anonymous said...

dear Kelli,
I m shocked that someone stold Amber's money at the camp!
Gee that is just awful!
I hope you can come up with a solution
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Kelli, hope things get better for you, that totally sucks someone stole Amber's money, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

I am applauding your recyling projects for one.  I always got mad at my kids if they littered.  I hate litter bugs.  And at the bus stops literally hundreds of pieces of gum litter the pavement.  My son Dan said that you can be taken to jail in Singapore for throwing a piece of gum in the street!  He said Singapore was the cleannest city he visited while in the navy. Americans can be so gross.  I don't understand this gum thing.  My aunt used to take a trash bag out and pick up the litter in front of her untidy neighbors' yards. Have you read about singer and movie star Bette Midler's efforts to get the New York cleaned up where she lives.  She has called the media's attention to it, she has done everything possible to get people to clean up after themselves!  I could go on and on.  But keep it up.  I know that you can make a difference!  Gerry