Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I know what is coming.

Grab a cup of tea and have a seat. What happened yesterday has really made me think.

A few days ago I was talking with one of our friends that just got back from Iraq. Dimitri, our friend, has graves disease.

The time has come for Dimitri to face this disease. He is having a hard time with this. Surgery would be best but the recovery time is very long.

I asked Dimitri if it would be the end of the world if he did not deploy for a while. After all he has been to Iraq six times.

The answer to my question was yes it would kill him to not be able to deploy for a while.

me: Why? Why do you answer the door every time the marine corps knocks. What about your life?

Dimitri: I learned to answer the door from your husband.

me: yes and the Marine Corps almost killed my husband.

That conversation ended.

Yesterday I saw Dimitri and he was not feeling good. The doctors stuck a big needle in his neck to check on his thyroid.

While I was at Dimitri's house I noticed that he had not unpacked all of his stuff from this last deployment. One of the things was the quilt I had made him.

I just looked at the quilt. I was so shocked that he did take it to Iraq and that it had made it back. It made me feel good to know that he did take a piece of home with him.

On our way to 29 palms C.J. and stopped at March Air Reserve Base. The base was taken to reserve status several years ago, so it is usually a ghost town.

Not yesterday. As we approached the base I notice the air strip was lined with air craft. I know what that means. There is another deployment coming.

My heart sank. Once again we will be saying good bye to our friends.

Why? Why can't I have friends that don't leave. Why are we still fighting this war? Why do these young men CHOOSE to join the service just to protect my freedom? Why are there more questions then answers?

Yes, there is a huge deployment coming up and yes we will once again stand on a parade deck and say goodbye to them. Once again tears will be shed. My heart say's don't go.

My head is telling me to keep my eye one the prize. The prize is seeing them all come home. The prize is getting phone calls from them. The prize is holding them.

I have a busy day ahead of me, so I better get to it. I can't just sit here and wonder about the future. Rusty has the flu, Amber has to work tonight. Then there is the usual house hold crap.

Yes, a stick is a manual. I need to remember that we use different words then they do in the UK.

 

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew what you meant by stick,what is graves disease hun? It sounds like this war needs to end,but there is no end is there? Prayers for all involved are needed and sent,mwahh zoe xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

I am sorry your friend is so sick. I will add him to my prayers. I hate this war. I wish it was over. Too many of our family, friends, and countrymen have died, because of what? Do we even know?  That is so very special he takes the quilt with him that you made. That warmed my heart reading that. ((((hugs))))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I hope he decides to have the surgery and take care of himself for a bit.  After six tours he's done his part for the rest of us.

My husband taught me how to drive a stick shift, and that is all that we have now.  It's good to know how even if you don't ever own one.

Lori

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww Kelli I am so sorry your friend is so sick, will keep him in my prayers, Sending big hugs your way, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

I hate that your friends all have to go AGAIN.  It really isn't the way it's supposed to be.  
Hugs,
Traci

Anonymous said...

thank your friends for willingly serving our country; I know it is hard to say goodbye to them and I can't imagine being a wife of a deployed serviceman and carrying on for long periods of time when they are gone.

I'm sorry about your friend with Graves disease; I would imagine he would feel so much better after the surgery and his recovery time.

Have you heard of Soldier Angels? Google it if you haven't.  Its like Chemo Angels if you have heard of them for cancer patients, Soldier Angels "love" on soldiers in Iraq.  A person "adopts" one, sends care packages to them, weekly letters, etc. I bet you on your own do something similar with your "guys".

betty

Anonymous said...

Why?  Good question.  Thats all we want is peace.  That was sweet that he brought the quilt with him.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/lattedah711/lattedah/    Tracy

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your friend who's sick. I hope he does ok.
I just hate that there is another deployment scheduled. I wish they'd end this war already! We have been in this war longer than we were in WWII !!!
Hugs..Pam

Anonymous said...

I don't understand the need to always go back out either hon....My daughters fiance was wounded in Iraq lost 2 of his closest friends. He comes home and tries to live a normal life, meets my daughter and for the life of him can't get the war off his mind. He goes through jobs like water....He's a service man and nothing else will satisfy him. I'm well aware of how things truly are having several friends connected to the soldiers online.....My daughter I'm not so sure.....All I can think of is Gary's specialty...he's the machine gunnist. For my daughter's and Gary's sake, for all the soldiers already in the midst of this ugly war, I wish it would end.....
(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelli,
what an awesome entry! I am sooooo sorry that your friends will be gone and I do admire their guts.How awesome that the quilt is in tack!You make such wonderful quilts!
love,nat