Thursday, August 21, 2008

where is my shrink?

I was cleaning up the kitchen. The kittens had just finished their mid morning meal. The can make such a mess!

Amber comes in and flops onto the recliner. Then we a cry. She jumps out of the chair, turns the chair over and starts screaming.

I picked one of the kittens up and wrapped it in a blanket. It died a few seconds later.

The other kitten that was under the chair was not walking all that good.

I called my girlfriend that works at the vets office and asked her if she could dispose of the body. They could.

I got dressed. I grabbed my bundle, Amber grabbed the other kitten and we headed out the door.

All I could do was pray. "Lord please let gabby live and give me the words to say to Amber."

Amber could do nothing but scream and cry.

We finally get to the vets office. The vets gave the kitten a once over and she was fine. The vets tried to calm Amber and it worked a little bit.

Amber is so shaken, and is still crying. Amber keeps saying that all she can see is the poor kittens limp little body laying there.

Rusty is like just get over it. I guess when you have taken a human life, killing a kitten is nothing. So Rusty is not being sympathetic.

To Amber this is a big deal.

I wish my shrink would answer his phone. I would say "I had no idea what to do. I wrapped the kitten up in a quilt, and I held him as he died. I tried to calm Amber down. We even got the other one checked out and she is fine. How do I get that vision out of Ambers head. Amber has never killed anything before and this is really breaking her up. What else can I do to help my daughter?"

Time marches on and I need to go cook dinner.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))I am so sorry the kitten died,but glad that the other was ok.I wish I knew the right words to help you say to Amber.I will say a prayer that She gets through this.Many hugs to you both.

Anonymous said...

Kelli, go on Google and find the poem "The Rainbow Bridge."  Sure she feels horrible..but remind her that the kitten's spirit is over the bridge and playing with other animals.  What a sad thing...I feel so bad for Amber.  She needs lots of hugs.  Linda in WA

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that Amber is going through that. It was an accident there was nothing she could have done. She didn't know. I'm so happy that the other kitten is okay. Hugs to you all.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, I'm so sorry the kitten died, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

This has happened to me before.  My daughter sat on my sweet birdie..my daughter was only 5 and we were both heartbroken. Poor Amber.. I know its a tough pill to swallow when something like that happens.  Take care

Kris

Anonymous said...

((((Amber))))) ((((Kelli)))))

Amber, sweetie, this was an accident and nothing you did on purpose; this little kitten got a chance to be in a loving family because of your mom's kindness to try to raise it; maybe that was what his/her purpose was; to have your mom open up her heart to them and for it to be loved for this period of time; I pray that the Lord will give you peace and comfort during this time and that you will feel his loving arms around you ((((Amber))))

((((Kelli))))

betty

Anonymous said...

AWWWW....Poor Amber.....that happened to my hubby with our very first kitty.....it will be okay Amber....it was a true accident.


That kitty is having more fun today, than yesterday.

Michele

Anonymous said...

I did that. I had a beautiful white kitten and I opened the outside gate and the kitty got underneath the gate and was squished. I rushed it to the vet but it died. I was heartbroken. Sometimes these things happen and there's nothing you can do about it. She'll be ok.
Hugs, Pam

Anonymous said...

Awww give Amber a hug for me!

It was an accident.

I hope she is ok!

Love,

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I knew what words you could say to take the pain and guilt away for Amber. I think the best thing you can do is tell her it wasn't her fault, and there was nothing she could have done differently. It was an accident. She'll have to find a way to forgive herself, and find comfort in the fact that at least the kitty died knowing what it was like to be in a loving home.

So sorry!
Jenna  

Anonymous said...

awwww  I am so sorry about Amber and the kitten!


Sharon

Anonymous said...

awwwww
Dear Kelli, :(:(:(:(
I am so sorry!
My deepest condolences to you and the family for your loss of those kittens!
love,nat

Anonymous said...

I can't give you the words to tell Amber, I'm at a loss myself. These things happen, if it had not been her it might of been someone else. I hope Amber was able to calm down by now hon. She's in my prayers on the smoke. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, that was so sad....hope you both will be okay...many hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is an unfortunate accident, and since she is tenderhearted girl she reacted with all her feelings.  I think accidentally killing a pet or seeing one killed is very disturbing. I felt to guilty about not keeping my dog Frosty on a leash and she ran after the neighbor's sheep and got shot 3 times in her legs.  One had to be cut off, but all I could do is ask a doctor who was visiting to sew up her leg, which he did and from then on she was a three legged dog, but when a neighbor poisoned my little Blackie I just did not know what that gentle thing coujld have done to deserve it, and his death stiill makes me feel bad  Because he was such a loving dog. Linda found out that her Chocoloto got poisoned because he went afteer a neighbor's chiild. She was pit bull.  I really think that squashing the kitten would be very upsetting to most young people.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

It is always hard to deal with, death, no matter if it's a human life or an animal.  And it doesn't matter if it's a cherished pet or a young kitten or puppy, or some wild animal that we accidentally hit on the road.  Accident or no, we are human, and it is human to regret the useless taking of life and to feel bad when our actions take a life.  I hope that Amber has been able to come to terms with it and is able to grieve like she should.  So give her a hug for me, please.
Lori