Monday, December 10, 2007

The marine Corps times has pissed me off

Rusty gets the Marine Corps Times. This is just a big news paper telling everyone what is going on in the Marine Corps. Most of the time I just flip through it and find nothing of interest.

However this weeks cover story is about aggressive dogs. The writer of this article had the audacity to compare my husband and other marines to dogs! My husband is not a common animal.

I do not agree with bsl. (breed specific legislation) Just because a dog is dig does not them mean and aggressive. I do not believe that dogs should be ban just because of their breed. Maybe we should just ban stupid people from owning dogs?

The author of this article has never spent anytime in this house other wise he might have written a different story.

In this house, our pit run's from the kitten. In this house, our pit plays with our handi cap son. In this house marines wrap their arms around our pit and go to sleep.

In our house, marines fight over who is going to bottle feed a kitten. In our house, marines treat our animals with respect. In our house.....

Yes, marines are trained to fight. Yes we send the marines into situations that we would never want to be in. Yes the marines are the baster children of the United States military.

That does not mean that you can compare them to a common animal.

Marines are people. They were raised by humans and they do have feelings. Marines do not always like what they are asked to do, but they do it. Marines are kind and loving and they are a sucker for children and animals.

I am going to write to the editor and voice another opinion. I do not like it when people compare my family to a common animal. I do not like it when people write about something and do not do research. If they had done their home work then they would know that other dogs attack more often. I do not like it when someone is trying to put limits on what we can and can't own.

People can have my pit when they take my gun. And that will be when I am dead. Here is the link to the article. I will more later after I calm down some! LOL

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2007/12/marine_devil_dogs_071208w/

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelli, I agree with you, I would be pissed too !!!!!!!!!!! Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))I aggree with you 100 percent.i would write to the editor also.Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

My Father was a Marine. How dare they compare a Marine to an animal?? I'd write to them too!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I agree! I have 2 pits and they wouldn't hurt a fly. I have literally been offered money to have the disposed of, now that is crazy. I trust my dogs completely and it is a shame that just because of their breed they are feared. Mean people raise mean dogs regardless of breed. If the dog is taught to be mean and fight or treated badly it will defend itself or fight. If taught the opposite it will love you......

I would write a letter also.

Michele

Anonymous said...

Pets and people are alike in that how good they turn out depends on who had a hand in raising them. IF people loved their pets and children we wouldn't have any problems with the few that are mean.
What was the person thinking when they wrote that article? I'm glad you're gonna write back they need to know they've offended.
I had a pit for a couple of months that I was sitting with. I don't know if you remember Kyan playing with her, but I told them when I had her I wasn't gonna be mean to her and she would not be spanked or hit. She absolutely loved Kyan and followed him everywhere. Like I said the few dogs that are bad are because people made them that way from abuse.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Thats not nice! I would write if I was you. Just to cheer you up I got your card !!! Louise xx

Anonymous said...

Just look in those eyes!  Can't anyone see the HEART in these dogs?  We loved our pit.  He was raised like a child.  Now he is gone.  WE WILL GET ANOTHER ONE.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am going to the thrift store right now so when I get back I will go to the site and see what has got you in an uproar, but you wrote well in response.  I was convinced!  I think that whether the dog is mean depends a lot on the attention and love it gets from an owner.  If the owner just leaves it in the back yard for days on end it is not even going to know it is a pet.  I have seen some owners that were training their dogs to be attack dogs.  They were some scarey dogs when they got loose.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

Thank you! A thousand thank you's for stating how I have always felt about animals. No matter what the breed, dogs don't learn abusive or violent behavior on thier own. It's stupid , idiotic people who teach them those ugly mannerisms. If you corner a dog and repeatedly abuse it, how can you not expect it to lash out and try to defend itself, any human being would. As for downplaying Marines because they are taught to be tough.....I guarantee you those same people feel a whole lot safer because they are.  I don't blame you for being pissed off by this hon! Sad to say there are a whole lot of stupid people in the world, who don't know any better. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I am sure that if a dog is mean it is very often the way it has been raised and treated by the owner, and if it is kind and loving that too is often determined by the purpose the owners had in acquiring certain kinds of dogs. I do think if dogs are left imprisoned in a back yard without attention too long it may get neurotic just like people would get under the same kind of circuomstance.  I just think so much depends on the owner, just like so much depends on parenting, whether a kid is going to be able to be civilized.  My grandson was attacked by a strange dog in a back yard, but  he was way too bold with strange dogs, and I blamed his mother for letting him go out there to interact with a dog he had never seen before.  The dog bit him in the face.  A surgeon did a wonderful job on him, operating at night for 5 hours.  He ony has little scars now.  He was 9.  He said, Grandma, I could have died. It could have got my eye.  His owner was dying of cancer and was shocked by the attack, but his mother knew that Dante coujld even have antagonized the dog as he did his own pets. Because Dante had problems in how he behaved with pets, so when you look at the whole thing, you can't just put the blame on the dog!   Gerry