Sunday, May 27, 2007

happy memorial day

Well it is Memorial day weekend. I have not done to much.

I did however go up to the cemetery . I sent Rusty an e mail with thee pictures in it. Rusty just cried. He told me thank you. Rusty said that he really is not ready to go up there yet, but he is glad that I did that for him.

Then we walked over to this section of the cometary that had all of the flags waving. I thought it was an awesome sight. I am not glad that all of these people died serving their country, but to think that someone took the time to line up all of those flags is just awesome!

On the way home from the cemetery I told Kevin that my dad taught me a very important lesson. He did not teach me this lesson by any words but by his  actions. My dad always flew our flag and when needed he would tie a yellow ribbon around the top of it. My dad never talked about the service, but he would never let someone else talk bad about our service men and women. Lord help the person that ever burned a flag around him. My dad taught me that being a proud American does not happen when it is a popular thing to do. Being a proud American is a full time job.

I can guarantee you that you that we will always have a flag flying on the front of our house. I do not know how many times a year we have to buy a new flag, but I do not count the cost.

I really do not need to be reminded what Memorial day is all about. I am living it. I am going to spend this weekend entertaining the marines and a sailor. I know the cost of war and I know the sacrifice of these  men and women.

Today I was happy to see people sleeping in. I was happy to justsit around and talk. I was happy to just be able to spend some time with out friends. This is what Memorial day is all about. It is not only about honoring our fallen hero's, but also those who are still serving.

Right now I have a group of service men and women sitting around a fire. I know that they are laughing and telling war stories. I think I am the luckiest person in the world.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

God bless America. Nice entry. Paula

Anonymous said...

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL,MY KIDS STILL WONT GO TO GRAVE SITE AND ITS BEEN 4 YEARS VERY HARD ON KIDS GOOD LUCK BEST WISHES DEANNA

Anonymous said...

what a moving photo. Americans are so much more patriotic than us Brits. Have a good day  Louise xx

Anonymous said...

You are just a sweeheart...
please tell those kids sitting around that fire that I am proud of them and thank you..
Lyn

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))))))))))I am so proud of you for what you are dong,opening you home for the soliders.We will never forget what they do for us.Do me a favor and tell them thank you for me for what they do everyday.Have a nice Memorial Day.

Anonymous said...

I know Rusty is so glad to have a such a wonderful wife. I hope you enjoy this day with your family and all yor friends.......or shall I say extended family??
Hugs
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Kelli, God bless all the brave solders and thier families !!!!!!!!!! Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that Mom and Dad have got a nice plot.

Anonymous said...

This gave me chills! Thank you!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Love this entry.  Awesome pics.  :)

Anonymous said...

wonderful entry.
Marti

Anonymous said...

I listened to the song and found it touching.  And I am so glad that that are gals like you who are thinking about the service men and women.  They are the ones who really risk so much, even though it is the politicians who decree when and where, usually, we will go to war.  Gerry