Tuesday, November 8, 2005

more marine?

Well here it is. The week of the marine corps birthday. Everything is all about the marines this week. I am about marined out. Marine balls, marine cake, marine's giving speeches! I am so sick of it all and it is only monday.

I swear I am going to scream if I hear more quote about marine. I guess thats what I get and I should know by now that everything revolves around the marines birthday.

My husband comes from a long line of marines and they talk about it all the time. My family was not like this. Here is another area where Rusty and I are so different.

We grew up with a flag outside. We were never allowed to talk bad about this country, and w were to defend her at any time. However we never talked about my dads service in the Army....well not much anyway. We were not allowed to mention Vietnam in front of my two uncles who served there. All of my grandfathers served in WWII, but once again that was never talked about.

It was not until two years ago that my mother mentioned to me that my grandfather landed at Guadacanal. Heck I did not even know he was a Marine! Then Rusty tells me that he was lucky to have made it home.

My grandfather was not a big tuff marine. He was the one who fed me m&m's before dinner. He was not some proud war hero, he was the man that would rinse out a beer can and refill it with water so that I could have something to drink. To me he was my grandfather, who loved me with all his heart.

As I head off to the ball I will think about everyone who has served this great country. I will remember those who have died for this country, and I will no longer be sick of marine stuff.

I am keeping the girls out of school, so that I can take them to the beauty shop and get their hair done. The girls are so excieted about this evening comming up. Heck we even told them that they do not have to go to school the next day!

As for me. I will do my own hair. I will get dressed up and I will smile. I will walk tall and I will do all the proper things. All the time I will be thinking to myself please get me out of her.

For some reason I never have a goodtime at the ball's. Could it be because I am usually the one driving drunks home? Could it be that because when marines get together I melt into the woodwork and Rusty forgets that I am there?

Then again this day is not about me. It is about the marines. So I will suck it up.

To everyone that has served and is still serving I do want to say thank you.

I am thankful that my grandfather did return from Guadalcanal. I believe that is where I get my spunk from

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a good time!  Take lots of pictures.  I wanna see!  Your journal captivated me today!!!!!   LOL!
----Renee