Thursday, April 12, 2007

Africa, Japan or Hawaii?

For some reason I cannot sleep tonight. I am so tired, but I turned out the lights my eyes just popped open.

Anyway, I talked to Nikki's mission trip leader tonight. We are getting everything set for the trip this year and the fund raisers are set up. So I asked where they are going next year. My answer was either Japan or Africa!

When I asked if Africa was an expensive trip she said yes, but it is getting more expensive every year. If they go to Africa then Nikki will be gone for two months over the summer!

If they go to Japan then Nikki will be gone for about two weeks next summer. Either way we need to start planning real soon for the trip next year.

Rusty and I had talked about taking the children to Hawaii next summer, but now all of our plans are on hold until further notice. We both agreed that going to Africa was an opportunity of a life time, and that Hawaii would always be there.

All I can really say is that I am so proud of her. I love Nikki's spirit for life and willing to go to place that other people won't go, and she does it all just to help other people.

I got no planting done today. I walked outside and the wind just cut right through me! Brrr, I came back in side and just did some work around here.

Tonight I made everyone's favorite dinner and I was very surprise to see that there were actually left overs! I just cooking dishes that I know everyone will enjoy.

My goal for the next few days is to use up all of my left over batting by making pet quilts to take down to the base animal shelter. I do not understand some of the people in the military. They will spend a ton of money to buy these fancy dogs and then they will dump them if they move. I do understand if they are going over seas, but come on people. If I spent $500 on a dog, I would be taking that dog with me across the country! Anyway....... I am off my soap box.

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone out there who has been reading and commenting in my journal. I had no idea that I was on a list! Who knew that my life would be interesting? Thanks everyone.

I guess I am going to go do something productive but yet quiet since everyone else in the house is sleep.

One more thing. Gerry I would be honored if you would be my fill in mom. I try my best to do the right things for our children, but sometimes I still need advice. Sometimes I just want and need some positive affirmation that I am on the right track.

Good night everyone.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI, I hopped over from pliek30(paula) and I like you lay doen and eyes pop open it 5 am and I am still wide awake,  great work with the animals as they need us !
Deanna

Anonymous said...

Wow!  The mission trips sound amazing.  Two months in Africa...what a way to spend the summer!  Hawaii is nice too but you are right.
Traci

Anonymous said...

Kelli, wow how exciting for Nikki to be able to go to Africa, I agree with you about the pets, I never  could understand people who dump thier pets or leave thier pets behind when they move away, Have a good Friday, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

I think you are a great mom! I wish you were mine! :o) I got chills when you were talking about her being able to go to Africa! Wow! A chance in a life time! How wonderful!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wow!  Wouldn't that be neat to go to Africa for two months!
Lori

Anonymous said...

When i was in my late 40's about 7 yr ago i went on mission from the Uk all the way to Florida.  Had a great 10 days and met some amazing people.  Slept on the floor of Forest United Methodist church, visited Silver Springs but must be the only Brit who has been to Florida and not been to Disney LOL!
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

Great for Nikki. You have led her in the right way. As for the pets. My daughter took her's to Germany when they were army. It was a lot of red tape and trouble but she wouldn't have left them behind for anything. Paula

Anonymous said...

Kelli,
That's great that your daughter has an op to go to Africa or Japan. Hope it all works out.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

I did have bad luck with one of my fill in Moms.  She was old enough to be my Mom and I felt close to her until one day she asked to borrow $50 for an emergency, I didn't have it, but I thought she was such a safe risk I asked my sister to lend it to me.  Guess what, she never did pay it back.  That was the end of that 'mom' relationship!  I will never forget the sense of betrayal I felt.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelli
beautiful entry!
Kelli youare planning to get all of those shots done for her for Africa right/
love,nat