Monday, April 16, 2007

please engage mouth before you speak

 

So I get a phone call from Amber this morning and she is so pissed off. I asked her what was going on.

One of her teacher was talking about the war, and the teacher was asked that if he was drafted if he would go. The teacher said no that he would move his family to Canada.

What? That was all I could say to Amber. Amber goes on to tell me that her and this Navy brat were very hurt by his comment. I hung up with Amber.

I called the school and asked if I could speak to this teacher. Lucky for me it was his free period.

here is that conversation:

Teacher: this Mr. C

Me: hello this Kelli Nelson, I am Amber Nelson's mom. I am married to Gunny nelson USMC Retired Permanent disabled veteran. I understand that you made a comment about going to Canada if you were drafted.

Teacher: I made that comment in jest and I thought I made that very clear.

Me: Well you did not. Do you realize that Amber is a Marine brat and that there is also a Navy brat in your class?

Teacher:

Me: You have the right to say anything that you want, however the military brats should also have the same right.

Teacher: I told the class that it would be very hard for me because we just had a child.

Me: Ambers dad left two months after she was born. Men do it all the time.

Teacher: I will speak to Amber and let her know that I was just kidding.

Me: thank you and remember my husband fought for your right to go to Canada and to say what ever you want.

This  "man" is a coward! That is all I can say about him.

I think tomorrow I am going to ask Amber to wear a USMC sweat shirt to school. Amber is not big into that sort of thing, but it will make the teacher feel very uncomfortable.

Any way. That was the start of my day, so lets hope the rest of it goes very well! LOL

Lynn, if you have a go Navy sweatshirt please send it our way! I will not allow this teacher to make our military brats feel uncomfortable.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for getting on his case!  He needed to hear that.
Traci

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))Good for you,I cant belive the teacher said He was kidding,that is so not right.I would have said something to the princpal.I hope you have a better day ahead.

Anonymous said...

Kelli, you go girl !!!!!!!!!!!! Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Kelli!  I wish more people would speak up and put these cowards in their places!

Diane

Anonymous said...

That is a moving song.  I really feel bad for the soldiers fighting the Iraq war because so many in the country are not supporting the war now, so that leaves the soldiers without the kind of support they need for what they are going through.  Everybody supported the soldiers of World War II, but people started not being supportive of the Vietnam soldiers.  I do think a teacher should be very careful of coming across as not suppotive when there are children of soldiers in class.  I don't blame you for being upset about it.   Gerry

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kelli! I am glad that you talked to that teacher he shouldn't be able to get away with saying  stuff like that.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

My deceased husband Mel was drafted right at Christmas time when he planned to give me an engagement ring. The army disrupted our plans but he served his stint proudly. Paula

Anonymous said...

I can imagine how that made your blood boil.....as well it should.  Good going, calling him on the carpet like that.

Anonymous said...

You go girl!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelli
well said Kelli! Awww that teacher needed to review the contents of the mouth before they came spilling out!:)
I much admire how you handled the caboodle! I ahve experienced caboodle myself and it is not fun!
love,nat
ps
we need to always honor our valient men and women in the service of keeping our freedoms alive in the world.
love,nat